Why is there no „neutral“ selection possible for answers?
- The instrument measures decision making. If there would be neutral answer, there would be no decision necessary.
Why are answers not clearly differentiated from each other, but show overlap in content?
- In real life there is no clear cut of problems and answers. It is exactly the purpose of the instrument to measure the level of differentiation capability in the light of complexity, gaps and contradiction. You can compare the test with an ECT under stress. If the questions would be too easy to differentiate, tensions could not be identified. The instrument purposefully creates stress to identify the direction of thinking, feeling and acting to identify conditioning.
The answers are not logically connected. This makes the instrument less credible.
- Just because the answers do not seem to be logically connected to you, does not mean that there is no logic, but simply that you have not understood the logic of the test construction. This actually increases the validity of the instrument, since it measures a „different kind of lateral thinking,“ which is necessary for „best problem“ solving.
- The switching of frameworks in the answers is not due to lack of logic, but the application of the same logic to different frameworks. In other words, the instrument measures your ability to transfer knowledge from one framework to the other, which is a fundamental assumption in „learning theory.“
There are grammatical and spelling errors in the test.
- Yes, we are working on it. In the meantime, please feel free to volunteer with spell checking.
The test takes too long to complete.
- We are working on a shortened version that does not compromise the test construct itself. Please bear with us.
- On the other side, the purpose of the instrument is also to measure ones ability to be present, and to immerse in one activity. Focus and concentration are key to creative problem solving. Decide for yourself the consequences of meeting participants unable to focus for 30 minutes on one problem without checking their emails 10 times on their mobile phones. If you can‘t focus for 30 minutes, you have more serious problems than happiness in the first place.
I cannot relate to the corporate examples in the test. This is not my world.
- We are considering variations of the test for relationship settings and kids, managers and team members, general management or creative management in the future.
- However, since problem solving and interpersonal dynamics are the same across all contexts, your ability to translate problems and solutions from one framework to another as well as the ability to empathize with a foreign context shows ones ability of adaptation. Adaptation to new situations, contexts and languages is exactly what the instrument is supposed to measure.
The test should state clearly in the beginning in which role, as manager or team member I am supposed to answer the questions.
- Basically ones role should not matter in answering the questions. Managers who behave according to different value sets in different roles are the reason why team members don‘t trust them. Perceived double binds, are the reason for burnout and physical illnesses. Only integrated values can balance and align perceived double binds in organizational structures. In other words: if your culture mandates different thinking, feeling and acting, the logical consequence is schizophrenic behavior in managers.
There is no information about validity and reliability of the instrument.
- The Happiness Scale is regarding ist construction closer to personality inventories, than aptitude tests, so it is systemically inherit in the instrument, that it cannot produce time independent validity and reliability, because time is relative. Aptitude tests are based on the assumption of linear causality and the existence of an absolute “right and wrong.” The “HPSS” is a new generation measurement instrument that is based on the assumption of cyclical and dual-synchronous causality and the relativity of right and wrong, depending on a specific context and function.
- The HPSS measures individual perception of a problem. Since individual perception is not stable over time, the HPSS cannot and will never produce high scores on test/re-test validity and reliability results, but can still produce relevant results. In other words, just because a tension in a certain structure is today 70 and tomorrow 80 does not mean, that there is no tension in that structure, but simply that we experience the tension differently, due to overlapping effects of other priorities in our life. Nevertheless, the tension is there and will resurface after bigger tensions have been eliminated. The purpose of the instrument ist not measure exact values of tensions, but to serve as a starting point for further exploration of those tensions in order to understand the meaning or function of those tensions under certain conditions, and what we can do to change conditions. This is probably the biggest value of the instrument.